A revolutionary idea that still needs to be accepted and worked on and to get accustomed to masses is that of electric cars. The concept might be sounding familiar right? In this era when the prices of petrol and diesel seem to be competing with the sky limits the concept of electric autonomous cars comes as a life saver.
These electric cars run with the aid of a single or multiple electric motors combined to derive energy from DC batteries which are absolutely chargeable. So the amount you would have been spending on fuel you can save it all for yourself.
How do electric cars work?
Electric cars chiefly comprises of-
- DC controller
- DC battery
- DC motor
Basically these cars convert electrical energy into mechanical energy. The source being the batteries which can be charged in-house or at charging stations.
Why we call it a revolutionary concept?
The world we are living in, the most common complaints we have are of population and pollution. We cannot control the former one but of course we can give our bit to save the environment and this is what makes the concept of electric cars a revolutionary idea. Now coming onto the pros:
- Pocket friendly- since these cars are using your electricity units which are a way cheaper than the cost of your fuel per unit.
- Environment friendly-these vehicles are absolutely silent and smoke free so that obviously is a great contribution to our environment.
- Renewable energy which of course reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
- Low maintenance – The amount you were spending on the servicing of your automobiles like you changing the engine oil, cleaning the radiators, exhaust system set can now be ignored completely. All you need to maintain is the brakes and tires and replacing the batteries when they are worn out because nothing is forever.
- Safety benefits – the explosive fuels not being used lowers the risk of your vehicle exploding. Also they have a lower center of gravity which improves the stability of the vehicle.
- Lesser use of mechanics brings down the production cost which makes it affordable to most economic classes.
Why electric cars are still a challenge?
As we discussed, everything cannot be perfect. So the challenges to be worked on are to be considered as well. These challenges are:
- Limited driving range – A battery once charged, can only last for a certain distance. So one cannot just randomly take any route. Which means the routes must be preplanned. Not for long drives lovers
- Long charging time – Standing in queue for fuel is still less time consuming as compared to charging batteries for hours
- Power to weight ratio is low which affects the performance of electric cars
- Less demand in market – Due to less awareness and advertisement probably these cars are not becoming common to masses.
Still a revolution?
Yes, the concept still is. Perhaps in future, when collaborated with new innovations, it will overcome its shortcomings. I’m sure they’re working on it at this very moment.